Things to Consider After the Dog Attack
- Step 1: Seek medical attention immediately. You do not know whether or not the animal has been vaccinated against rabies. Even if the dog is vaccinated, you are still at risk for infection.
- Step 2: Report the incident. You are required, by law, to report the incident to an Animal Control Officer. It is a matter of public health. Also, an animal that has bitten someone must be quarantined for a ten-day period . The victim should attempt to identify the animal so that authorities can act accordingly.
- Petersburg Animal Control 804-732-4222 located at 1600 Johnson Rd. Petersburg, VA 23805
- Step 3: Take photos of your injuries. This will become important evidence in your case.
- Step 4: Contact a Virginia dog bite lawyer.
Typical damages that dog bite victims can receive compensation for include:
- pain and suffering,
- loss of earnings while unable to work,
- future loss of earnings if you cannot return to work,
- disﬁgurement, scars, and
- medical expenses.
Virginia Dog Bite Lawyers
Our Virginia dog bite attorneys operate under a no fee promise. This means that you are not responsible for any legal fees unless we win or settle your case. Contact us to learn more about your legal rights 877-544-5323
Petersburg Animal Laws
If you have been injured by a dog in the City of Petersburg, it is essential that you know the local laws and regulations.
Here are several details of importance:
- A dangerous dog is one that has bitten, attacked or injured a person or companion animal.
- A vicious dog is categorized as one that has killed a person, caused serious injury to a person, or continues to exhibit behavior that previously resulted in the court finding it a dangerous dog.
- If an animal control officer has reason to believe that a dog is dangerous or vicious, he has the right to apply to the magistrate a summons requiring the owner to appear before a general district court.