Postal Worker Dog Bites
Postal workers face very real danger from canines on their route virtually every day. The United States Postal Service reports that employees sustain more than 3,000 bites and injuries a year.
Delivery Driver Dog Attacks
On an average delivery route of 500 homes, drivers may encounter as many as 300 dogs a day. Many of these animals are aggressive. Even when a delivery worker acts in a non-threatening manner, dogs may act defensively. When not properly restrained on a leash or behind a door, these animals may attack.
Common Causes of Dog Bites
To perform their duties, these workers must enter the territory of countless dogs each day. Many dogs believe they are protecting their home and owners when attacking. Groups of dogs and dogs behind invisible fences are often to blame for more serious attacks. Workers filling in for colleagues or walking through a new route are the most susceptible to dog bites.
While some choose to carry treats to distract dogs on their route, others choose to bring pepper spray along, just in case. Even with these strategies in place, dog bites can still happen.
Compensation for Postal Workers & Delivery Drivers
- Workers’ Compensation Claims – In many cases, the worker’s employer may extend workers’ compensation benefits to injured employees. This can cover lost wages and medical expenses related to the attack.
- Claims Against the Dog Owner – If you pursue a claim against the dog owner and win, they will be responsible for repaying any workers compensation benefits that were paid out. In addition, you can attempt to recover for things such as pain and suffering, plastic surgery for unsightly scars, a wrongful death, and other types of damages.
Virginia Dog Bite Lawyer Settlements
*The circumstances surrounding every case are different, therefore prior results cannot guarantee the same outcome.
- $100 THOUSAND – Postal worker sustained a serious knee injury after being attacked with at work. – Norfolk, Virginia
- $100 THOUSAND – FedEx delivery driver sustained major injuries to arm after being attacked at work. – Wythe County, Virginia
- Click here to see more settlements
Virginia Dog Bite Lawyer
If you’re a postal worker or delivery driver who has been attacked by a dog on your route, it’s important to explore your options for compensation. A free consultation can shed light on your rights and give you insight into what steps to take next.
Virginia has a statute of limitations on these kinds of cases, so it’s important to take action as soon as possible to avoid missing deadlines. Don’t miss your window of opportunity – call our office today to schedule your free consultation.