Virginia Personal Injury Lawyer
Kids love animals, but animals don’t always love kids. When dogs feel threatened, afraid or angry, they can lash out at even the tiniest of children. Even the most beloved, gentle family dog has the potential to snap and seriously or fatally injure a child.
If your child has been injured by a dog bite, a Virginia child dog bite injury lawyer can help. Every case is different, but you may be entitled to compensation. A free, confidential consultation can help clarify your legal rights and offer options for your next move.
Our Clients Say it Best
“My lawyer, Richard Serpe, and his staff did a thorough investigation into the dog owner, and were able to secure a settlement for my daughter. The settlement allowed us to pay her medical bills, as well as set aside funds for her future education. I am so glad I decided to contact Richard Serpe. Even though his office was 4 hours away, he and his staff handled all of the complicated legal issues so that I could focus on my daughter’s health and healing. If you’ve been hurt because someone else was careless, I highly recommend you call Richard Serpe no matter where you are in Virginia. THANK YOU!” -S. Jones
Child Dog Bite Injuries
Dog bite injuries range from minor to deadly. Lacerations and punctures are common among child dog bite victims, as are sprains, fractures and tissue loss. Many times, scarring on the face and neck leave a permanent reminder of the attack. Some victims require initial surgery to repair the damage done by the dog and plastic surgery down the line to fix the cosmetic damage.
Even after the scars from the attack fade, the trauma of the incident can linger. Psychologically, dog attacks during childhood can cause serious problems. Lifelong phobias of dogs can develop from such attacks, as can PTSD and other general anxiety disorders. Without therapy or counseling, the dog attack can stick with a child for the rest of their lifetime.
Facial Scars Caused by Dog Attacks
Childhood trauma is a difficult burden to bear in any form, but when the physical manifestation of the incident is displayed on one’s face, the impact can be overwhelming.
While nothing can turn back the clock to undo the damage done in an attack, a dog bite lawyer can help recover costs associated with the victim’s care. From initial emergency services to plastic surgery, no family should have to bear the financial impact of a violent attack. By holding irresponsible dog owners liable for their pets’ actions, we can bring some degree of justice to victims and their families.
Compensation Available to Victims
In Virginia, victims of dog attacks have the right to pursue compensation from negligent pet owners. Every case is different, so victims should speak with a Virginia child dog bite injury lawyer to determine what theirs could be worth. Settlements frequently include compensation for:
- Medical bills. Not limited to the initial care received after an attack, everything from the ambulance ride to the cost of prescription drugs can be factored into a settlement.
- Future medical costs. If a victim requires ongoing medical care for the foreseeable future, the costs of things like physical therapy and counseling can be included in a settlement.
- Pain and suffering. No amount of money can take back the pain endured by a child attacked by a dog, but damages can help ensure they receive the treatment and care necessary to heal as completely as possible.
- Disﬁgurement & Scars: If the injury causes scarring or other unsightly marks, the victim is entitled to recovery for the disﬁgurement. Because these injuries are often in very visible places, victims are often very self-conscious of their appearance. Children are frequently bitten in the facial region and require plastic surgery.
- Wrongful Death. Virginia allows certain family members to make a claim for losses they have suffered due to the wrongful death of a loved one.
Start Your Free Consultation
In the wake of a dog attack, it can be difficult to know who to trust. While you might expect the insurance company to have your best interests at heart, this couldn’t be further from the truth. Insurers are out to turn a profit. If they see any opportunity to deny a claim or minimize a claim, they’ll take it. A personal injury attorney can help you negotiate a fair settlement and ensure you’re not being taken advantage of.
When you put your trust in the Law Offices of Richard J. Serpe, PC, you can rest easy knowing we’ll act with your best interests in mind. Contact us for a free, no obligation, consultation to discuss your options.