The terms self-quarantine, social distancing, and COVID-19 might not have meant much to us six weeks ago, but in a blink of an eye, they’ve become essential to our current society. Our vocabulary isn’t the only thing that has changed over the last few weeks. Shopping habits, daily routines, and socialization have all had to be adapted for more pandemic-friendly practices. It’s no surprise, then, that Americans are relying on delivery services more than ever. While it’s certainly convenient to have our favorite products and services delivered to our front doors, there’s a downside that many people aren’t considering: the increased risk of dog bites for delivery workers.
Why Dogs Attack
The dynamic between mail carriers and dogs has been well-documented in cartoons and movies. The real life relationship isn’t typically as humorous as on the big screen, though. Dogs see delivery workers as potential intruders and can lash out violently if they aren’t properly restrained. Too often, mail carriers put their lives on the line to deliver our mail and packages. Any time there’s an increase in the number of deliveries, their risk of sustaining a bite increases too.
How Dog Owners Can Help
Reduce the risk of your dog attacking a delivery worker or mail carrier by properly restraining your pet. If you have a fence around your yard, bring your pooch in when you anticipate a delivery. Placing your dog in an interior room while you sign for delivery can also help limit the chances of an attack.
Dog Bite Lawyer Richard Serpe
Virginia dog bite lawyer Richard Serpe has 34+ years of experience helping victims of personal injuries. We have helped numerous victims to get the compensation they deserve. These clients include children, adults, mail carriers, delivery drivers, joggers, pedestrians, and others. Contact Richard Serpe if you’ve been attacked by someone else’s dog.
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs, Norfolk, VA (2020)
- Rated 10/10 – “Superb” by the online attorney rating service, Avvo.com
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America ® (2006 – Present)
- Received an AV rating from the Martindale-Hubbell law directory, which is the highest given
- Named a “Super Lawyer” – among the top 5 percent of lawyers in Virginia (2006 – Present)
- Listed as a Top 100 Virginia Trial Lawyer by the National Trial Lawyers 2014