Newport News Dog Bite Lawyer
No Legal Fees Unless We Win
We offer a No Fee Promise, which means that you don’t owe us any legal fees unless we settle or win your case. Our firm will work on your behalf to get a fair settlement, and only charge legal fees if you receive a settlement or verdict.
We understand that the fees associated with a lawsuit can be a barrier to justice. Everyone should have a voice when it comes to asserting their rights. Corporations and insurance companies have tremendous resources, and our No Fee Promise levels the playing field
Things to Consider After the Attack
- Get medical attention. You do not know whether or not the animal has been vaccinated against rabies. Even if they have, you may still be at risk for infection. As well, it is important that your injuries are documented by a medical professional should you decide to pursue a lawsuit.
- Report the incident by calling the the police or Newport News Animal Control at 757-595-7387. It is very important that the incident is documented by authorities. In addition, the dog will most likely need to be quarantined.
- Take photos of your injuries. Be sure to take photos of your injuries right after the attack, and continue to take photos through the healing process. This will be important evidence for your case.
- Contact a Virginia dog bite lawyer who is experienced with dog bite cases to help you get the best possible settlement.
How Much Is A Dog Bite Case Worth?
Depending on the circumstances of your situation, you may be entitled to the following damages:
- Pain and suffering: This is the right to compensation for physical pain and suffering and mental anguish you have suffered and could possibly endure in the future.
- Loss of Earnings: You are entitled to recover for the loss of earnings which you suffered from your injuries.
- Future Loss of Earnings: If your injuries have prevented you from your ability to earn income in the future, you can recover damages for the value of the reduction in earning capacity with reasonable probability which will occur in the future.
- Disﬁgurement: If the injury causes scarring or other unsightly marks, the victim is entitled to recovery for the disﬁgurement. Because these injuries are often in very visible places, victims are often very self-conscious of their appearance.
- Children are frequently bitten in the facial region and require plastic surgery.
- Medical Expenses: Dangers include any sort of medical expenses that a victim has had to pay for at a hospital, clinic, or to a pharmacy.
- Wrongful Death of a Loved One: Fatal dog attacks don’t happen very often, but when they do occur, they’re always incredibly tragic. No one ever expects to lose a loved one in such a violent way. The Virginia wrongful death statute allows certain family members to file a claim on the behalf of the deceased.
Critical Time Deadlines
In Virginia, there are strict deadlines for filing a lawsuit. In many cases, Virginia provides a two-year deadline also known as a Statute of Limitations. However, sometimes special circumstances apply and can alter that deadline. It is important to contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible to protect your rights.
City of Newport News Animal Regulations
The Newport News Animal Services Division (ASD), lists several regulations regarding dogs:
Leash Law Enforcement- Newport News required dog owners to keep thier dog under their immediate control any time the dog is taken off their property (Sec. 6-25).
Dangerous & Vicious Dogs – A dog will be classified dangerous when it has bitten, attacked, or inflicted injury on a person or companion animal. “A dog can be classified as vicious when it kills or inflicts serious injury to a person,
- including multiple bites,
- serious disfigurement,
- serious impairment of health,
- or serious impairment of a body function.”
Newport News Animal Services Division
5843 Jefferson Avenue, Newport News, VA 23605