If you’ve been injured by a dog in Franklin, Virginia you should know the laws and regulations concerning animal attacks—and your rights after such an event.
The City of Franklin provides a variety of information to residents regarding dog ownership, including everything from common definitions to the role of animal control officers to the manner in which dangerous animals are handled.
Sec. 5-4 is an overview of dangerous animals, touching on the following details:
- It is unlawful for any resident to bring into or keep a dangerous dog in the city
- Exceptions are made for animals that are brought into the area in a confined manner, such as those that are part of a zoo or circus, as long as federal, state, and local laws are adhered to.
- If a person is notified to take their animal into custody and fails to do so, police and animal control are in position to take action
If you’ve been attacked by a dog in Virginia Beach:
- Report the incident. You are required, by law, to report the incident to an Animal Control Officer. It is a matter of public health. Franklin County Animal Control Services: 540-483-7440
- Seek medical attention immediately. You do not know whether or not the animal has been vaccinated against rabies. Even if they have, you are still at risk for infection.
- Gather as much information as possible from witnesses about the dog.
- Contact a Virginia dog bite lawyer.
An animal that has bitten someone must be quarantined for a ten-day period at least. The victim should attempt to identify the animal so that authorities can act accordingly.
Typical damages that dog bite victims can receive compensation for include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of earnings while unable to work
- Future loss of earnings if you cannot return to work
- Disﬁgurement – If the injury causes scarring or other unsightly marks
- Medical Expenses
Virginia Dog Bite Lawyer
Dog bites are serious, scary and potentially fatal incidents. The matter is serious enough that the Virginia Supreme Court has ruled in two separate instances on various dog bite matters. There is no excuse for allowing your dog to roam freely and potentially injure someone, especially when that dog is known to be vicious or dangerous. My Virginia personal injury law firm specializes in dog bites and attacks. If you’ve been injured from a dog bite attack, you should be aware of your legal rights and the compensation you may be entitled to due to your injuries.
Our Virginia dog bite attorneys operate under a no fee promise. This means that you are not responsible for any legal fees unless we win or settle your case. Contact us to learn more about your legal rights 877-544-5323