If you've been injured by a dog in Alleghany County, you should know the laws and regulations concerning animal attacks-- and your rights after such an event.
- Dogs running at large - animals are prohibited from running "at large" which is defined as roaming, running, or self-hunting off the property of it's owner or custodian.
- Dangerous dogs - a dog shall be deemed dangerous if it has bitten, attacked, or inflicted injury on a person or companion animal. The owner of any animal found by the court to be dangerous must obtain a dangerous dog registration certificate from the animal control officer.
- Vicious dogs - a dog shall be deemed vicious if it has: 1)killed a person, 2) inflicted serious injury to a person, including multiple bites, serious disfigurement, serious impairment of health or serious impairment of a bodily function, or 3) continued to exhibit the behavior which resulted in a previous finding by the court as a dangerous dog.
Things to Consider After a Dog Attack in Alleghany County, Virginia:
- Seek medical attention immediately. You do not know whether or not the animal has been vaccinated against rabies. Even if they have, you are still at risk for infection.
- Report the incident by calling the authorities or an Alleghany Animal Control Officer at 540-965-1770.
- Take photos of your injuries. This could serve as important evidence for your case.
- Contact a Virginia dog bite lawyer.
An animal that has bitten someone must be quarantined for a ten-day period at least. The victim should attempt to identify the animal so that authorities can act accordingly.
Types of Settlements and Compensation
- Pain and suffering. Physical pain can fade, but the emotional turmoil of a dog attack can linger for years. This is especially true with children that are bitten.
- Loss of earnings while unable to work. Even minor injuries can put a victim out of work for days, weeks or even months. Those absences will inevitably take a toll on a person’s income stream. We can help fight for the wages you lose out on because of your injury.
- Disfigurement. If the injury causes scarring or other unsightly marks, it could mean years of plastic surgery or therapy to treat the emotional issues that come with the disfigurement. This is especially true when a child is attacked.
- Children: Unfortunately, some childhood injuries can stay with a person physically for the rest of their life. This can impact their self-esteem and may require expensive plastic surgery. This can be factored into a settlement.
- Medical bills. When you’re injured through no fault of your own, you shouldn’t be expected to pay for the medical costs accrued during treatment.
- Death of a loved one. No one ever expects to lose a loved one in such a violent way. The Virginia wrongful death statute allows certain family members of the victim to file a claim on the behalf of the deceased.
Virginia Dog Bite Lawyer
Owners have a strict responsibility to keep their dogs safely contained, and that responsibility is all-the-more important if the dog is found to be dangerous or vicious.
My Virginia-based personal injury law firm specializes in dog bite and dog attack cases. My lawyers and I know the rules, the regulations, and the laws surrounding dogs and dog attacks, and we know how to fight for you in order to win you the legal redress to which you are entitled. Nobody should have to suffer because a dog owner should have known better.
No Legal Fees Unless We Win
Our Virginia dog bite attorneys operate under a no free promise: this means that you are not responsible for any legal fees unless we win or settle your case. Contact us to learn more about your legal rights 877-544-5323
Alleghany County: Clifton Forge, Iron Gate, Callaghan, Low Moor, Selma, Backbone, Boiling Spring, Clearwater Park, Clifdale, Cliftondale Park, Crows, Earlehurst, Fairview Heights, Falling Spring, Griffith, Harrington, Hematite, Hooks Mill, Intervale, Iron Hill SPrings, Jordan Mines, Knicaid, Longdale, Longdale Furnace, Mallow, Moss Run, Nicelytown, Oakwood Forest, Potts Creek, Rayon Terrace, Rich Patch, Rich Patch Mines, Stonewall, Sweet Chalybeate, Valley View, Westwoon Place