No Legal Fees Unless We Win
We understand that the fees associated with a lawsuit can be a barrier to justice, and we believe that everyone should have a voice when it comes to asserting their rights. Corporations and insurance companies have tremendous resources, and our No Fee Promise levels the playing field.
What to do after a Portsmouth Dog Attack
- Seek medical attention immediately. You do not know whether or not the animal has been vaccinated against rabies. Even if they have, you are still at risk for infection.
- Report the incident. You are required, by law, to report the incident to an Animal Control Officer or the police. It is a matter of public health. Further, if you decide to pursue legal action, it is important that the incident has been documented by authorities.
- Portsmouth Animal Control
301 Columbia St, Portsmouth, VA 23704
- Portsmouth Animal Control
- Take photos of your injuries. Be sure to take photos of your injuries right after the attack, and continue to take photos through the healing process. This can become very important evidence in your case.
- Contact a Virginia dog bite lawyer who is experienced with dog bite cases to help you get the best possible settlement.
Compensation for Dog Bite Victims
Depending on the circumstances of your situation, you may be entitled to the following damages:
- Pain and suffering: This is the right to compensation for physical pain and suffering and mental anguish you have suffered and could possibly endure in the future.
- Loss of Earnings: You are entitled to recover for the loss of earnings which you suffered from your injuries.
- Future Loss of Earnings: If your injuries have prevented you from your ability to earn income in the future, you can recover damages for the value of the reduction in earning capacity with reasonable probability which will occur in the future.
- Disﬁgurement: If the injury causes scarring or other unsightly marks, the victim is entitled to recovery for the disﬁgurement. Because these injuries are often in very visible places, victims are often very self-conscious of their appearance.
- Children are frequently bitten in the facial region and require plastic surgery.
- Medical Expenses: Dangers include any sort of medical expenses that a victim has had to pay for at a hospital, clinic, or to a pharmacy.
- Wrongful Death of a Loved One: Fatal dog attacks don’t happen very often, but when they do occur, they’re always incredibly tragic. No one ever expects to lose a loved one in such a violent way. The Virginia wrongful death statute allows certain family members of the victim to file a claim on the behalf of the deceased.
Child Dog Attacks
Time Deadlines for Dog Bite Claims
In Virginia, there are strict deadlines for filing a lawsuit. In many cases, Virginia provides a two-year deadline also known as a Statute of Limitations. However, sometimes special circumstances apply and can alter that deadline. It is important to contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible after the accident to protect your rights.
Virginia Dog Bite Lawyer Richard Serpe
Richard Serpe is a highly skilled trial attorney with a reputation for meticulous trial preparation and presentation. He has a tremendous track record of success in obtaining substantial jury verdicts and settlements for his clients. A substantial portion of his career has been devoted to the representation of injured children.
Top-Rated Virginia Injury Lawyer
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs, Norfolk, VA (2020)
- Rated 10/10 – “Superb” by the online attorney rating service, Avvo.com
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America ® (2005 – Present)
- Received an AV rating from the Martindale-Hubbell law directory, which is the highest given
- Named a “Super Lawyer” – among the top 5 percent of lawyers in Virginia (2006 – Present)