5 Things to Know About Dog Bite Cases
- 1. What to do After an Attack
- 2. Settlements & Compensation
- 3. Important Time Deadlines
- 4. Contact a Virginia dog bite lawyer
- 5. Fairfax County Dog Bite Laws
A dog bite is a devastating experience, especially when the victim is a small child. Victims of dog attacks face serious physical injuries, permanent scarring, and emotional trauma. Our Virginia dog bite lawyers represent innocent victims throughout Virginia — children, delivery drivers, postal workers, joggers, pedestrians, and anyone else attacked by a dog.
Things to Consider After an Attack
- Seek medical attention immediately. You do not know whether or not the animal has been vaccinated against rabies. Even if they have, you are still at risk for infection.
- Report the incident to police or Fairfax Animal Control 703-691-2131
- Take photos of your injuries as soon as possible, and continue to do so throughout the healing process. Photos can be a very valuable piece of evidence for your case.
- Contact a lawyer who is experienced with dog bite cases.
Settlements and Compensation for Victims
- Pain and suffering: This is the right to compensation for physical pain and suffering and mental anguish you have suffered and could possibly endure in the future.
- Loss of Earnings: You are entitled to recover for the loss of earnings which you suffered from your injuries.
- Future Loss of Earnings: If your injuries have prevented you from your ability to earn income in the future, you can recover damages for the value of the reduction in earning capacity with reasonable probability which will occur in the future.
- Disﬁgurement: If the injury causes scarring or other unsightly marks, the victim is entitled to recovery for the disﬁgurement. Because these injuries are often in very visible places, victims are often very self-conscious of their appearance.
- Children are frequently bitten in the facial region and require plastic surgery.
- Medical Expenses: Dangers include any sort of medical expenses that a victim has had to pay for at a hospital, clinic, or to a pharmacy.
- Wrongful Death of a Loved One.
Time Deadlines for Virginia Dog Bite Claims
In Virginia, there are strict deadlines for filing a lawsuit. In many cases, Virginia provides a two-year deadline also known as a Statute of Limitations. However, sometimes special circumstances apply and can alter that deadline. It is important to contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible after the accident to protect your rights.
Do You Need A Lawyer for Your Dog Bite or Attack?
Our Virginia dog bite attorneys operate under a no fee promise. This means that you are not responsible for any legal fees unless we win or settle your case. Contact us to learn more about your legal rights 877-544-5323
Information Provided by Fairfax County regarding dangerous dogs:
- Dogs are not allowed to roam free. However, their are some exceptions: 1) a dog under supervision while lawfully hunting, 2) engaged in obedience training, and 3) in a Fairfax County sanctioned off-leash or exercise area.
- A dog may be deemed dangerous when it has: bitten, attacked, inflicted injury on a person or companion animal, or killed a companion animal.
- A dog may be deemed vicious when it has:
- killed a person,
- inflicted serious injury to a person, including multiple bites, serious disfigurement, serious impairment of health, or serious impairment of bodily function
- continued to exhibit behavior that resulted in a previous finding by a court that it is a dangerous dog
We are able to assist residents throughout Fairfax County including: Clifton, Herndon, Vienna, Annadale, Bailey’s Crossroads, Belle Haven, Burke, Burke Centre, Centreville, Chantilly, Crosspointe, Dranesville, Dunn Loring, Fair Lakes, Fair Oaks, Fairfax Station, Floris, Fort Belvoir, Fort Hunt, Franconia, Franklin Farm, George Mason, Great Falls, Greenbriar, Groveton, Hayfield, Huntington, Hybla Valley, Idylwood, Jefferson, Kings Park, Kings Park West, Kingstowne, Lake Barcroft, Laurel Hill, Lincolnia, Long Branch, Lorton, Mantua, Mason Neck, McLean, McNair, Merrifield, Mount Vernon, Newington, Newington Forest, North Springfield, Oakton, Pimmit Hills, Ravensworth, Reston, Rose Hill, Saratoga, Seven Corners, South Run, Springfield, Tysons Corner, Wakefield, West Falls Church, West Springfield, Wolf Trap, Woodburn, Woodlawn, Accotink, Arcturus, Barkers Crossroads, Blevinstown, Browns Mill, Butts Corner, Cobbs Corner, Colchester, Colchester Hunt, Comptons Corner, Cooktown, Crowells Corner, Culmore, Donovans Corner, Doveville, Farrs Corner, Five Forks, Four Corners, Hattontown, Hollindale, Jermantown, Langley, Lees Corner, Lewinsville, Lewis Park, Makleys Corner, Matildaville New Alexandria, Oak Hill, Odricks Corner, Pohick, Schneider Crossroads, Shady Oak, Strathmeade Springs, Sunset Hills, Uniontown, Virginia Hills, and Westhampton.