Charlottesville Dog Bite Lawyers, Injury Attorneys
A dog bite or attack can be a devastating experience, especially to a young child. Victims typically face physical injury, scarring, disfigurement, and occasionally a wrongful death. Our dog bite lawyers have many victims throughout Virginia including: children, delivery drivers, postal workers, and many other innocent people.
What should I do after a dog attack?
- Seek medical attention immediately. You do not know whether or not the animal has been vaccinated against rabies. Even if they have, you are still at risk for infection. In addition, it is important that a medical professional documents your injuries.
- Report the incident by calling the police or the Charlottesville Animial Control at 434-977-9041. The dog must be located and quarantined for rabies observation. Also, it is important that the incident is documented by authorities.
- Be sure to take photos of your injuries as soon as you can and continue to do so throughout the healing process. Injury photos can become very valuable evidence for your case.
- Contact a Virginia dog bite lawyer. If you've been injured in an attack, consider speaking to an experienced dog bite lawyer about your legal options.
Settlements & Compensation
- Pain and suffering: This is the right to compensation for physical pain and suffering and mental anguish you have suffered and could possibly endure in the future. This accounts for many of the damages that are recovered and are in addition to the following damages that are discussed.
- Loss of Earnings: You are entitled to recover for the loss of earnings which you suffered from your injuries. This includes wages, commissions, bonuses, and all other earnings and fringe beneﬁts. If you are not able to work presently because you are recovering from your injuries, the loss of income will be made up.
- Future Loss of Earnings:If your injuries have prevented you from your ability to earn income in the future, you can recover damages for the value of the reduction in earning capacity with reasonable probability which will occur in the future.
- Disﬁgurement: If the injury causes scarring or other unsightly marks, the victim is entitled to recovery for the disﬁgurement. Because these injuries are often in very visible places, victims are often very self-conscious of their appearance.
- Children are frequently bitten in the facial region and require plastic surgery later on in life. Depending on the age of the child at the time of the attack, many surgeons will not perform surgical revisions until the child reaches early adulthood. This means that many times, children will go through the embarrassment and humiliation of the scar through adolescence, a period in which they are very self- conscious of their appearance. This often impacts them both socially and emotionally.
- Medical Expenses: Dangers include any sort of medical expenses that a victim has had to pay for at a hospital, clinic, or to a pharmacy. These include the cost of basic medical treatment, going to the emergency room, and any sort of surgical treatment or care needed to repair the damaged area of the body.
Deadlines for Virginia Personal Injury Claims
In Virginia, there are strict deadlines for filing a lawsuit. In many cases, Virginia provides a two-year deadline also known as a Statute of Limitations. However, sometimes special circumstances apply and can alter that deadline. While two years may sound like a long time, there are steps in the claims process that can be quite lengthy. It is important to contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible after the accident to protect your rights.
Virginia Dog Bite Lawyers
Our lawyers know the rules, the regulations, and the laws surrounding dogs and dog attacks, and we know how to fight for you in order to win you the legal redress to which you are entitled. Our Virginia dog bite attorneys operate under a no free promise: this means that you are not responsible for any legal fees unless we win or settle your case. Contact us to learn more about your legal options 877-544-5323