It’s always important to be aware of the laws and regulations governing pet ownership in your city, county or zone—in case you want to get a dog, for instance. It’s also important to be aware of these laws in order to be aware of how your local government handles dangerous animals.
Accomack County, located on the Eastern Shore of Virginia, has enacted numerous laws in order to prevent dangerous or vicious animals, particularly dogs, from harming the public.
The county mandates that the owner of any dog to be found dangerous shall be required to purchase a “dangerous dog registration certificate,” as well as a dangerous dog tag that the canine must then wear. The owner must also notify the local animal shelter. As well, if the dog is loose and roaming, attacks a personal, is sold, or has been moved to a different address, the owner must notify animal control authorities.
These laws are obviously intended to ensure that both authorities and the public are aware of the reality of dangerous dogs in their area. To this end, these are sensible and prudent regulations. Dangerous or vicious animals are nothing to be taken lightly; owners of such animals should have to take special precautions in order to protect bystanders from attack.
If you have been attacked by a dog in Accomack County, follow these steps:
- Seek immediate medical attention, even if you don’t think you have been injured. Remember, there is no way of knowing if the animal is vaccinated against rabies.
- Report the incident to the proper authorities as soon as possible.
- Eastern Shore Animal Control at 757-787-7091.
- 28167 Beacon Road, Melfa, VA 23410
- Speak with any witnesses about the dog, while also asking each person for their contact information.
- Contact a Virginia dog bite attorney.
What Kind of Compensation Can I Receive for my Injuries?
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of earnings while unable to work
- Future loss of earnings if you cannot return to work
- Disﬁgurement – If the injury causes scarring or other unsightly marks
- Medical Expenses
Virginia Dog Bite Lawyer
If you’ve been attacked, bitten or otherwise injured by a dangerous animal, I know how terrifying such an event can be. You may be wondering where to turn next, or how you’re going to cover your medical bills. You should consider speaking to a personal injury lawyer. My personal injury law firm specializes in dangerous dog bite and dog atack cases, and my lawyers and I know how to fight for you to ensure that irresponsible dog owners are brought to justice. No pet owner should get away with letting their dog attack someone else—and you shouldn’t be forced to foot the bill for their negligence.
No Fee Promise
Our Virginia dog bite attorneys operate under a no fee promise. This means that you are not responsible for any legal fees unless we win or settle your case. Contact us to learn more about your legal rights 877-544-5323